Monday, February 2, 2009

God don't move that Mountain

We all have different devices we use to escape reality. For some its a shopping spree, for others its a good book and for still others its sleep. But eventually reality steps back in, we can't avoid it forever. Though at times when life is really rocky we would like to. I was talking to one of my daughters on the phone tonight and we were talking about "if it weren't for bad luck we'd have no luck at all" and suddenly it occurred to me that these trials are just that, trials. Maybe God is strengthening us for things yet to come. Now that thought doesn't really give me warm fuzzies thinking that God might be toughening us up for something worse, cuz at times it seems about as bad as it can get right now but deep down I know that isn't true. I know the cliche, "look around there is always someone worse off than yourself" but it's NOT just a cliche. That thought brought one of my favorite songs (I have many lol) to mind. The name of the song is "God Don't Move That Mountain". Basically what the song says is don't take away my troubles, just give me the strength to face them. The words, "Lord don't move that mountain, just give me the strength to climb, for if you should move each mountain I might grow weaker every time" is so true for me possibly for most of us. The easier we have it the weaker we are the next time we face a trial. The song goes on to say that if God moves that mountain "I" might forget to pray and that really hits home! I couldn't tell you how many times I've found myself going through a day, I got up, started my day running, without a prayer and then before I know it, my head drops on the pillow and I'm asleep again without praying. Then the next day goes by and the next day and then something goes wrong and all of a sudden God is the first person that comes to mind. My prayer is to start my day with prayer, pray through the day and in the evening. The Bible tells us to pray without ceasing. That doesn't just mean when we are facing a mountain, that means all the time. There is another song that I dearly love (told you I had a bunch), called The God on the Mountain. That song says "the God on the mountain is still God in the valley". "The God of the day is still God in the night". "The God in the good times is still God in the bad times". Though I haven't written the words in the exact order, what that means is He is there for us always. When you face a mountain in your life, just remember, don't ask God to move it, just ask Him for more strength to climb it. He is there always for all of us. The devil would have us think we are unworthy and he is right but we were unworthy when Jesus died for us and still He gave His life. He still loved us, He stood in our place to make sure we had a home in Heaven.
Next time you are facing a battle run to the One that can carry you. He is faithful, He loves us all. There is no greater Love.

1 comment: