Thursday, March 5, 2009

I Saw God Today

I was listening to this song "I Saw God Today", and it dawned on me, I did see God today. Everywhere I looked actually, though I didn't think of it that way at the time. Sitting here reflecting, I realize that I did. It was a beautiful day today, warm, the sun was shining, a little windy, well okay, a lot windy but it still felt good. It feels good knowing that Spring is almost here. Spring and Fall are my favorite times of the year. Now back to my subject.
I saw God the first time this morning when my daughter brought my 8 month old grandson over, when I went to take him out of his car seat and he started kicking his legs and grinning his little toothless grin at me. His blue eyes shining. He is such a joy. He is truly a gift from God as are all my grandchildren. Each time I see them I see the wonder of God because He made each one of them, each one of them different, and each one of them has a gift from Him that they are too young to realize right now. By the way this is only 6 of our eleven :)

The second time I saw God was when we walked outside and I saw that I have flowers coming up everywhere in my flower bed, the jonquils have even bloomed. They are beautiful and tilted ever so slightly towards Heaven as if they see Him too. They are surrounded by bluebonnets. There are sprouts everywhere and soon my yard will be filled with beautiful tulips, red and yellow, pink naked ladies, marigolds, irises and canna lillies.

The third thing I noticed was the little pink buds coming out on the trees. I wish when the leaves came out those pretty pink buds could stay also but I know those are the promise that the trees are going to leaf soon and be beautiful and green.

The fourth time was the sun, shining so bright, breaking through the clouds. Hard to believe it's so far away and still harder when you realize that God just breathed it into being! What an awesome God we serve. This reminds me of a blog my husband did on the wonder of God. How He has such an eye for beauty and how he gave us so much to appreciate and awe over.
Men have tried for centuries to duplicate those colors and they come close but they are never quite the same.
The fifth time was the sweetest little lady I encountered today, I handed her the daily paper and she smiled at me, said thank you and God bless you. Then she said, "isn't it a great day to be alive?" I think I have to agree with her. Her smile lit up her entire face and she made me happy just having seen her today. (This isn't her or course, I didn't have my camera along or I would have asked to take her picture.)


The sixth and seventh things and most certainly not the least or last, was a red bird and a squirrel. Another promise that spring is just around the corner because we rarely if ever see red birds here in winter, although we do occasionally see the squirrels come out to dig up some of their stored up treasure. Which reminded me of Matthew 6:26 Behold the fowls of the air: for they sow not, neither do they reap, nor gather into barns; yet your heavenly Father feedeth them. Are ye not much better than they?
I did see God today, many more times than what I've listed and it shames me that I don't notice Him everyday in the little things as well as the big. I had to thank Him for all these gifts, how could I not? For me He turned a ho-hum day into a day of promise. When I might have been sad He showed me promise. Promise in my little grandson and all my grandchildren. Promise in the flowers that are blooming, promise in the sun that rose this morning, the sweet smile of a stranger, the beautiful red and easy flight of the red bird, the chattering of the grey squirrel and even the wind that can at least for a little while blow our troubles away if we would only let it. Take time to see God, seek His face. He knows you are there and He's just waiting for you to acknowledge Him. He sees you.
Have you seen God today?

2 comments:

  1. It is funny how sometimes we take for granted that God is everywhere. I tell my daughter that even if I do not see or know about something she has done "wrong" that God does see it all and he has a way of making me find out what it is.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is so funny because when my daughter was younger I used to tell her the same thing! now I tell my grandchildren and I hear my daughter tell them the same thing! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete