Friday, April 16, 2010

Did I Say That?

Did you ever try to talk to someone and give them encouragement only to end up saying some things that you really did not intend to say? Unfortunately I have. I end up letting "my thoughts" come out instead of what the Lord has directed me to say. James 3:10, out of the same mouth proceedeth blessing and cursing. My brethren these things ought not to be so.
I will admit, (not proud of it), that I talk to much sometimes. When I get to talking I don't stop to "hear" what I'm saying, then later when I reflect back on the conversation I have to ask myself, "did I say that?" The words we speak can never be taken back, they vanish like vapour from the air but the scars they leave remains forever.
The Bible tells us that we speak life and death with our tongues Proverbs 18:21, Death and life are in the power of the tongue: and they that love it shall eat the fruit thereof.
We are human and our lives do get busy but we constantly have to be on guard. Satan uses the tongue to divide people and pit them against each other. Idle words are damaging because they spread destruction quickly, and no one can stop the results once they are spoken. I can't be careless with my words, thinking I can apologize later because the damage is already done and the scars remain forever. Before you speak, remember that words are like fire - you cannot control nor reverse the damage they do.
The tongue gives us a picture of our basic human nature, of our hearts. What we see, what we listen to, what we participate in goes into our hearts and comes out our mouths. James 3:8, but the tongue can no man tame; it is an unruly evil, full of deadly poison. (God can tame it). James 4:7, Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil, and he will flee from you.
We also need to remember that it is not what goes into the mouth that defiles us, it is what comes out of our mouths that defiles us. (Matthew 15:10). It is for this reason that we should all kneel and pray at the beginning of every day for God to help us guard our tongues and help us to speak life instead of cursing, it will make us more accountable for ourselves during the day. Proverbs 16:23, The heart of the wise teacheth his mouth and addeth learning to his lips. When we pray, we also need to pray for wisdom and knowledge. We cannot do anything of and by ourselves but God can accomplish all things that includes bridling our tongues.
Lord, help me today to keep watch diligently over my mouth. Create in me a pure heart so that I think before I speak and even when I don't nothing will come out that does not praise and edify. Help my words to be soothing and comforting to those who need it, not a sharp knife that cuts to the bone (soul) and leaves scars. Create in me a pure spirit to walk in your way, saying only what You would have me say. Help me not to participate in idle conversations, gossip and backbiting. Remind me that I am no better than anyone else and in talking about them, condemning them, judging them, I am bringing that judgement down on myself. Help me to lovingly steer the conversation away from gossip and backbiting and on to something good, wholesome and edifying. Live through me Lord, speak through me. Help me to remember your instructions and my parents teaching that "if I can't say anything good, not to say anything at all". Your word says "out of the same mouth proceeds blessings and cursings, let everything I say be blessings and praises to you for without you - I am nothing. Thank you Lord for your Grace and Mercy. In Jesus name, Amen.
I hope that what I've written has been encouraging and want to leave you with this:
Phillipians 4:7-9, And the peace of God which passeth all understanding, shall keep your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus. 8) Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things. 9) Those things, which ye have both learned, and received, and heard, and seen in me, do: and the God of peace shall be with you.
God bless
pray for the peace of Israel
in love, tawanab




2 comments:

  1. Great post! Ha, I wish I had money for each time I said things I shouldn't have said. Sigh.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I understand Beth, I would probably be very rich :( Thanks for stopping by.

    ReplyDelete