Friday, February 6, 2009

Dealing with a Narcissistic Personality

We all know or have known someone in our lifetime who, no matter what the conversation, turns it back around on themselves. Someone who has done everything, knows everything, their kids are better, their life is better, their home is better etc OR worse than anyone's. I'm not going to say that person is a narcissist but there is a good probability they are. And on that note we probably all have a little of that type of personality, when someone is telling a story we might suddenly interrupt with, "that happened to me once too, ....." rather than letting the other person finish. For most of us its not an intentional action, its blurted out the moment it triggers our thoughts.

Narcissism is defined as a personality so consumed with self that the individual is unable to relate to the feelings, needs, and perception of others. Chronically manipulative and exploitive behaviors are at the core of this personality. While narcissists can initially seem pleasant and engaging, over time they have a knack of generating great anger and exasperation in those who simply want to relate with equality and respect.

Narcissists usually have ulterior motives to their helpfulness or friendliness. They are constantly in "me" mode and usually have pretty much already figured out before they offer their help to you what they will get out of it in return. That's pretty harsh isn't it? However, it's truth, read the definition again, "consumed with self, unable to relate to the feelings, needs and perception of others". I want to keep repeating that because it's important for anyone who has to deal with a narcissistic person to understand that the problem is with them (the narcissist) and not you. Remember part of my site title is "knowledge is power". I hope to give you enough knowledge about narcissism to "empower" you if you are dealing with that kind of person.

For many many years I was subjected to a narcissistic personality in the workforce. I thought I was friends with this person and yet it seemed every time I turned around she had used something I did to either make herself shine or cause me damage at work. I was on a constant roller coaster of emotions, never knowing what each day would bring. I was over worked and stressed and had no idea why things were going the way they were until my counselor explained narcissism to me. People that deal with this type of person on a regular basis tend to feel like they are directly attacking them which isn't the case, as stated narcissist think only of themselves and what they will eventually get.

There are eight main indicators of a full-blown narcissistic personality:
1) They have no ability to empathize
2) They appear to have a sense of entitlement or expect special favors.
3) They exhibit manipulative or exploitive behaviors.
4) They have an inability to receive direction.
5) They have a need to be superior and are haughty or judgemental.
6) They show an unwillingness to deal with reality, are idealists.
7) They have the ability to make initial positive impressions
8) They have an insatiable need for control.

If you know or deal with someone regularly with this traits as I did, you can empower yourself and learn how to deal with this person and protect yourself from frustration and hurt. A narcissist can be extremely mentally abusing without seeing themselves that way.

First: You can't change them, remember they are focused on themselves and that they probably will not respond to even helpful criticism. By definition, the only person's thoughts and ideas they care about are their own.

Second: Establish strong boundaries. Narcissists can be extremely disruptive when they communicate with you. Stand firm on your decisions, don't debate with them. Don't be drawn in by arguing with them that they are being unfair or whose way is the right way.

(The third is a direct quote from "Please God save me from this abuse" written by Les Carter, Ph.D.)
Third: Demonstrate that you respect your own dignity. Often you will feel insulted because a narcissist will so readily discount your value. This can leave you wondering, "What's so awful about me?" Don't let yourself fall into that trap. Recognize that your dignity is a God-given gift, and contrary to the narcissist's assumption, he or she is not the god who gets to make such pronouncements. Spend quality time with friends and acquaintenances who treat YOU with the RESPECT YOU DESERVE.

Fourth: Don't battle the narcissist for control. Again by definition, they think they are always right, it's "my way or the high-way" so to speak. When challenged communication turns into a power struggle. It becomes their goal to decide for you how you should think and act. When/if this happens remind yourself that you are in control of your own thoughts and actions and have just as much right to your feelings, thoughts and opinions as they do. Don't argue with them because they have that right also. Best course of action is walk away.

Fifth: (again quoting from source above) Accept the fact that the narcissist probably thinks you are a fool. Sad to say, the narcissist genuinely believes that he or she is more enlightened than you. True to the nature of narcissism, that person is inevitably convinced that you are a slug who does not understand the way life is supposed to be lived. As you interact with this person, recognize that his or her low opinion of you is predictable, and is part of that person's internal dysfunction.

As I mentioned earlier I spent years in the workforce with a narcissist co-worker/boss, I wish I had been empowered with this information then because I was one of those people that always ended up thinking "what's wrong with me?" Though some of the above may seem harsh in some ways, you have to adapt to a small amount of narcissism yourself to deal with a narcissistic personality. You have to think about YOU and you have to protect YOU, it's a given that they don't and won't.

excerpts from: "Please God save me from this abuse!" Responding to a Narcissist, by Les Carter, Ph.D.

7 comments:

  1. wow, that is pretty deep. I will definitely look out for these kind of people..lol
    Nice blog. keep up the good work

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really interesting - and insightful. Sadly, I deal with people like this all the time - help me :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have to say...I originally came to thank you for the shoulder tap, but once I arrived and read your post...I actually sort of felt that you could have been standing over my shoulder, viewing the world through my looking glass over the past week. It may be narcissistic to say it...*grin*...but this post felt like such pointed and insightful advice that I'm going to take it to heart! LOL!
    Thank you for the perspective...I think I needed a better one on EXACTLY this subject!
    XO Char

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was married to one for a little over a year, our divorce was final Jan. 30. I'm not one to give up and I think marriage is sacred but there is no way (except for a true miracle) that a narcissist can change because they don't see what other people see. He had me, my family, his family, his co-workers, and even our pre-marital counselor fooled. He married me for what he thought he could get from me to better his own life financially and then when it didn't work out for him, he up and moved to another state with no notice. I think they call it abandonment. It was a year of torment and my self-concept suffered terribly! Thank you for this blog article because I'm sure many people can identify. Hopefully they are not married to one though!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Was married to one for 18 years. I am a giver, loving to nurture by acts of service. With a pure heart I gave and loved and encouraged him. Saw us through financial ruin, redeveloped his self esteem, supported him, sat with him, listened and loved. He walked out one morning and had a secret plan to not return. A few weeks went by and he came back in tears begging to come home, to me, to our family. I took him back and a few weeks later, he left for work and never returned. It was all yet another manipulating plan. We were truly happily married, good loving relationship, great kids, successful career. Everyone was shocked. He abandoned everything he knew from the past 20 years. Walked away, never looking back. Not even an honest relationship with his kids. He can go months without ever communicating. All unbelievable. Yes, he hit 50, midlife, found a 30 year old who can be the new fuel to youth. "me", "me", "me" is all he can think of. Sad that he has detached from such a wonderful stage of the children's lives. It took me months to come out of my "coma". He gets a 100% on the 8 needs of being a narcissist. How's this for unable to relate to others feelings: "I haven't done anything wrong" "why do you think the kids are upset?".... I suppose at some level, the narcissist believes what they are saying.
    A tragic loss. One I never saw coming. He was acting for 20 years?

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are right...we all have a bit of the narcissist in us...but it's the ability to empathize with others and forget about ourselves for a while that can help us find the balance of caring for ourselves while also caring for others. I have met many in this position...there's one more narcissist that you did not mention unless I missed it...and one type I seem to have the "gift" of "attracting"...people that are always "negative" about themselves and their life and look to you for validation...they think that because they are ragging on themselves that it does not make them selfish when in fact, it's all about them...those people are even harder to deal with because you try and help them to boost their morale but instead they drag you down with them if you are not careful...
    Great post...I see some other titles that have a VERY promising topic and will take the time to read them soon as I have a feeling we see things in a similar way...

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have to deal with a person with NPD in the religious field. The bishop in the United States who heads our organization fits every category found in this article and DSM. He likes to run me down in front of a group with accusations that may have maybe 2% truth then expand and place it out of context. During the first year in office, he had his picture on every month of the organizations calendar that we distribute to all of our temples. The problem is that he is persistant - he claims a following but it is not because he is liked but because he is an extremely strong bully. He will use the platform afforded by his position to humiliate anyone who does not agree with him. One of his ex-wife was driven into severe depression as his method of operation is to always blame others - in this case, he was involved with another woman. I explained to her that it wasn't her fault and that he suffered from a personality disorder. I do not know how to handle this guy yet except trying to limit contact which isn't always possible as he invites himself (and makes us pay for) to all of the meetings in our district. I know that biting the hook definitely is not the way to go if you want to leave with any sense of self-esteem still intact. You cannot have a two way conversation to try to come to some sort of agreement or improved relationship, he will just rub it in your face. But as you said in the article, the people who do not know him for what he is will sit and support him and I suppose treat them ok since they are the one's keeping him in power. He even had his name put on a state marker at a historical site in Cleveland, Ohio for something that is a total sham. He likes to use other people to create conflict and problems for people that do not agree with him, he stirs up hate an animosity - not that he cares at all about the people who he uses to create hostility. If anyone has any advice as to what I can do, please write. I will continue to monitor this blog.

    ReplyDelete