Sunday, February 8, 2009

When the song in your heart and the song in your head don't match!

I'm sure everyone has heard the expression "keep a song in your heart". I love that because to me its a little like therapy. IF, the song that is in my heart and the song that is going through my head MATCH! The song in my heart is most always "The God on the Mountain", sometimes "Amazing Grace". I love both of those songs along with many many more. My favorite music is Southern Gospel.  I used to listen to Country and some older rock-n-roll (50's, 60's, 70's and 80's), but not anymore. 

Anyway, back to the song in your heart etc.
What I DON'T like is when the song in my head is something stupid! Have you ever had one of those days when you hear a piece of something and it sticks in your head? A commercial, a kids song etc. Then it seems no matter what you do, you can't get rid of that song! Sometimes the song just pops in your head for no apparent reason that you can comprehend. Like today, all day long the Barney song has been going through my head. No reason, nothing I can remember thinking that would lead me to it, it's just there! I didn't have the grandkids today, no cartoons, nothing. It's like my brain just decided that was what I needed to sing. You know the one: I love you, you love me yada yada yada. Well now that I've got it stuck in YOUR head, maybe you can help me figure out a way to get rid of it. I try humming my favorites, even out loud and the second I quit there it is again or worse yet, the words of the Barney song drown out what I'm trying to think of to sing. What I hate even worse is getting a song stuck in my head that I don't know the words too, maybe I only know one line or just a few words, then I can't sing it but I can't stop singing it either so the same words run over and over in my head like a broken record.... grrrrrowl.

It's irritating, but wouldn't it be wonderful if that was the worst thing in the world we had to worry about? I think sometimes it is our brains way of giving us a break. A silly non-sense thing to temporarily take your mind off the really stressful things going on in your life right now. When I put it in that perspective, its not quite so bad except I'd still rather be singing something, almost anything besides Barney! LOL

1 comment:

  1. You gave me a smile with this post. One of my granddaughter's favorite characters was Barney. I can't tell you how many times I heard his songs!(smile) My granddaughter will be 20 years old in November...she still hums Barney's songs. There is no escaping them!(smile)

    Thank you for sharing this. I enjoyed it greatly....Mattie

    ReplyDelete