Saturday, February 21, 2009

The Lighthouse

I have to admit I love lighthouses. I've been fortunate to actually get to see some up close. My love of lighthouses probably didn't start with the first picture of one I saw or even the first actual lighthouse I saw up close. My love of lighthouses began with a song, a gospel song called- The Lighthouse.
The Lighthouse
There's a lighthouse on a hillside
That overlooks life's sea
When I'm tossed, it sends out
A light that I might see
And the light that shines in darkness now
Will safely lead me thru the night
If it wasn't for The Lighthouse
My ship would sail no more.

chorus:
And I thank God for The Lighthouse
Well, I owe my life to Him
For Jesus is The Lighthouse
And from the rocks of sin
He has shown a light all around me
That I might clearly see
If it wasn't for The Lighthouse
Tell me where would this ship be.

Everybody that lives about me
They said tear that lighthouse down
'Cause the big ships they don't sail this way anymore
There's no use of it standing 'round
Then my mind goes back to that stormy night
When just in time, I saw that light
Yes that light from that old lighthouse
That stands up there on the hill.
I love lighthouses because of what they represent to me. To me they represent when God came into my life, when He shone His light around me. Jesus is the light house.
When I see a picture of a lighthouse, it serves to remind me of Who is looking out for me, Who is guiding me to safety.

As I was searching for pictures of lighthouses, one of the sites I came across had a sentence that said, "lighthouses are not always easy to get to". That brought me to this thought, Jesus is not always easy to get to either. Not because He is illusive or hard to find but because we have trouble seeing, or we ignore the Light He shines out for us. We don't always row towards the lighthouse, sometimes the storm we let control our lives keeps us from reaching that Lighthouse.
Just like the lighthouse, Jesus stands firm.
He is always there, always in the exact same spot, always shining, a beacon to draw us to Him and keep us safe. It is we that ignore the warnings, we that ignore the light.
We actually choose to fight the stormy seas and batter ourselves against the rocks, rather than set sail for safety.

As the song says, "if it wasn't for the lighthouse, just where would this ship be?"
I know where "this" ship would be, lost and sinking. Sinking into a deep sea of sin and crashing into rocks of desperation.

"Then spake Jesus again unto them, saying, 'I am the light
of the world: he that followeth me shall not walk in darkness, but shall have the light of life'."
John 8:12


"We have also a more sure word of prophecy; whereunto ye do well that ye take heed, as unto a light that shineth in a dark place, until the day dawn, and the day star arise in your hearts:"
2 Peter 1:19



And he (Jesus) was in the hinder part
of the ship, asleep on a pillow:
and they awake him, and say unto
him, Master, carest thou not that we perish?39 And he arose, and rebuked the wind, and said unto the sea, Peace, be still. And the wind ceased, and there was a great calm. 40 And he said unto them, Why are ye so fearful? how is it that ye have no faith? 41 And they feared exceedingly, and said one to another, What manner of man is this, that even the wind and the sea obey him?
Mark 4:38-41




1 comment:

  1. This blog is one that speak's volumes on volumes of truth, if ony the world could see a lighthouse for what it's worth.And who truly leads our paths, this is simple but powerful.Just beautiful T and follow your ahhhh calling and keep it real.

    jesseb's anything goes.

    ReplyDelete