Sunday, April 26, 2009

A Word Fitly Spoken

I have a dear friend that used to sing a song called Apples of Gold. I haven't heard the song in a long time but I remember one line that says, "a word fitly spoken is like apples of gold in pictures of silver". There is also a verse in the book of Proverbs that refers to this. I was reminded of this song recently by my oldest daughter. Ever since she mentioned it, situations have come up that have brought the words "a word fitly spoken" to my mind over and over. Many times we war with our flesh over how to handle situations but most of the time, what is on our mind comes out of our mouths. "From the heart, the mouth speaks". Why, do we human beings think we have the right to say whatever is on our minds, right or wrong, whether it's really our business or not? Situations can be turned for good and bad by the words from our mouths.

As I said, I've had situations (conversations) come up recently where I really wanted to give a particular person a piece of my mind and tell them what I really thought. Each time this happens the Lord reminds me, "a word fitly spoken". I'm so thankful for that still small voice because as bad as I thought the situation was at the time, what I wanted to say "in the flesh" would only have made the situation worse. Because I was obedient to God and did NOT say what "I" wanted to, He has done what He always does and stepped in and turned the situation around. How awesome He is!

2 comments:

  1. I do truly believe, "out of the heart, the mouth speaketh". I agree we all need to watch what we say, we will answer for every word. A little frightening but, do like your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for visiting and I agree totally, we will answer for every word. It is truly a little frightening considering sometimes I speak first without thinking! I try not to but being human it happens.

    ReplyDelete