Tuesday, November 26, 2013

Thanks or No Thanks

This post is something the Lord has been dealing with me about for a while and I've been reluctant to write possibly because I didn't like what it said to me, (as is usually the case).
I was thinking about something I had done recently that for one reason or another I thought should have been acknowledged.  I don't remember what it was now but I do remember the Lord speaking to me and reminding me that His Word, The Bible, tells us to do everything as if we are doing it for the Lord.  He also reminded me that it is my "duty" to do good for others and that He is the one that gives me all my abilities.  I knew the basics of what He was telling me but of course had to look up the verses.  These are the ones He spoke to me.

Colossians 3:17  And whatsoever ye do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God and the Father by him.

Galatians 6:10
As we have therefore opportunity, let us do good unto all men, especially unto them who are of the household of faith.
 
Matthew 6:1
Take heed that ye do not your alms before men, to be seen of them: otherwise ye have no reward of your Father which is in heaven.
 
1 Peter 4:11
If any man speak, let him speak as the oracles of God; if any man minister, let him do it as of the ability which God giveth: that God in all things may be glorified through Jesus Christ, to whom be praise and dominion for ever and ever. Amen.
 
I know I'm the only one guilty of "seeking attention or approval from others" right?  I've seen or heard different people saying they did this for a brother or sister or that for a brother or sister and immediately God spoke and said, "they have their reward".  At the time I guess I didn't think about it to much but you know God, when He wants you to get a point He keeps bringing things back to your memory.  
I'm just going to use some examples, NOT referring to anyone or anything I have personally known, just some examples the Lord brought to my mind.
Example 1:  A young lady goes to work on Monday and tells her co-workers hows she cooked all day Saturday to take food to church on Sunday for a family whose mother had just passed away.  Everyone is sympathetic and pats her on the back for being a good samaritan and going above and beyond to help these people.  According to Matthew 6:1, she has already been rewarded. She sought reward from man rather than God.
Example 2:  A man stops in a service station complaining because he has oil and dirt on him from stopping to help a young woman change a tire on a busy freeway.  However, as he is complaining, he is also bragging about being a good samaritan.  According to Matthew 6:1, he has been rewarded.
There are a lot of examples and you who are reading this can probably think of some I haven't listed but the point is:  According to just the 4 verses above we are to do good to all men (women), especially fellow christians, not shout our good deeds to the world but do them as if we are doing them directly for God and make sure that God, (who gives us our abilities) gets all the praise, glory and honor.
Far greater reward comes from the Father than the meager pat on the back we receive from humans.  Not that we are supposed to do a good deed for that reason alone either.  
We may not always have support from others, we may not get praise from others but we have pleased the Father.  He is the one who laid it on our hearts to do good to begin with.  Without Him there are none good...no not one.
Remember the next time you are feeling unappreciated, God will reward you and HE is pleased with you.  That is more important than any pat on the back or atta boy from anyone else.
love you all
God bless you
 

No comments:

Post a Comment