Monday, March 7, 2016

Train Up A Child...

As a mother, I cannot begin to imagine the pain of losing a child.  In our human minds that is not the right order of things, our children, in our minds, are not supposed to go before us.  I pray to God daily that I never have to bury one of mine, but the truth is, none of us are promised our next breath.  In fact, death is the one thing that we can be sure we will all face someday.  We just do NOT know the day or the hour.
The Bible says in Proverbs 22:6, "Train up a child in the way he should go and even when he is old he will not depart from it."  In particular, it says, "train up", why?  Because we are not promised old age, we are not promised our next breath.  Sewing wild oats isn't Biblical, raising them up in the ways of the Lord is.  Be certain of what you are teaching them, care more about their spiritual needs than physical.  God will take care of their physical if they are taught to lean on Him.
As Christians, we face every day that our Lord is coming back and we look forward to that, however, again, we do NOT know what day or hour we might be with Him.  Death may come before He comes back.  The question is:  Are we ready?  We are never ever ready to lose a loved one but are we ever ready for our own departure from this life?  The only soul we can really do anything about is our own.  However, as parents, when God gave us those children, He gave us the responsibility not only to raise them but to also raise them up in the fear and admonition of the Lord.  We get so wrapped up in providing their food, clothing, education that we forget we are also to provide their Spiritual training.
The best way to teach a child anything is by example.  The best way to show a child and teach them about God is by example.  Let your children see you pray!  Let your children see you read your Bible!  Share it with them, teach them to pray, teach them to seek the answers they need in God's Word and to NEVER EVER rely on what man says without researching it themselves.  It's very easy to be mislead when we don't know the Word of God ourselves. Teach them that just believing in God is NOT enough.  Anyone can SAY they are a Christian but we are known by our fruits.  Teach them to be fruit bearing Christians.  If we don't teach them to love God and let God show through them, the world will certainly teach them how to be part of it.
I pray that I never have to bury a child, but more than that I pray I have been an example to them and I have taught them to love the Lord their God with all their heart, soul, mind and body.  I pray that I have nourished their spirit and showed them a relationship with God and to love God above all else because good or bad, right or wrong someday we will all meet God.  I pray they are ready, I pray I did my part. Should I leave this world before they do, I pray they will continue on in faith, trusting and believing in God and trying their best to be pleasing in His sight.
I pray another mother will never have to bury a child, what a heavy burden that is to bear, but, how much heavier will that burden be if she does not know where her child stands with God?  How much more heartbreaking to know that your child, whatever age, has gone to meet a maker they don't even know?
Just some food for thought.  God bless you all.

No comments:

Post a Comment