Monday, May 18, 2009

A Thankful Heart

Do you ever stop and ask, "who am I, that God should love me and bestow His grace on me"? I don't do that often enough. But, I do wonder, with the way I act at times or some things that I do, how does God put up with me? Sometimes we go through our days and whether we voice it or not, we just expect certain things from God. Just like any parent He gives us those things we don't even ask for. How many times do we stop and say thank you? How many things do we recognize what He gives us? How many times at the end of the day do we look back and realize what God has accomplished for us instead of lamenting what we didn't get or what didn't happen? I know I'm not talking to anyone else, I'm the only one that does that, right?
Something I used to hear my husband say all the time: "I just thank God for the precious breath of life, He didn't have to give me today."
Tonight, I am thankful. With all that I feel is going wrong, for tonight I want to recognize what is going right. God did give me the precious breath of life this morning. He gave me a beautiful day. He's given me an awesome family and precious friends. He's provided a roof over my and my family's head and food to eat. He has been faithful and it's my turn to acknowledge Him, in all things. It doesn't matter to God that I acknowledge Him publicly, only that I do realize and appreciate what He has done for me, and I do.
Sometimes I let the worries of the world get me down and I don't fully appreciate what a loving, forgiving, graceful God we serve. I'm the only one that does that too, right?
I've heard it said many times, "when you are down to nothing, God is up to something". How true that is. Also the old cliche, "don't sweat the small stuff". It's all small stuff to God so that means we aren't meant to "sweat" anything. Nothing is to big for our God.
With a meek and thankful heart I thank you God for all You are, all You have done and all You will do in our future, with or without our asking. I remain your humble servant and child. Even at my age, I know You aren't finished with me yet.
Isaiah 40:31 But they that wait upon the LORD shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings as eagles; they shall run, and not be weary; and they shall walk, and not faint.

4 comments:

  1. This is sure good to be reminded everyday, if needed, to be grateful. I started blogging for that reason, too many bad news in the media, but I was afraid it was becoming a gratitude journal and others would be bored. I need to get back to that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Please do, I love to read good things about people and what is happening in their lives. Sometimes reading the bad makes us appreciate what we have more but I think reading what God has done for others is especially inspiring. Thanks for stopping by and God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great reminder of how blessed we truly are each day.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Beth, I'm finding more and more everyday that I should have thanked Him for and trying to make up for it now :) With all that goes wrong it's comforting to focus on what has gone right :) God bless.

    ReplyDelete