Saturday, May 23, 2009

What Does A Man Gain

I recently read an article of a "young" man, (barely 90), who had passed away. I was impressed with what I was reading and though I didn't know him I was caught up reading about all the wonderful things he had done in his lifetime for his community and other people. He was moderately famous and had helped many people in his lifetime, had won prestigious awards for energy conservation, was an inventor and a highly intelligent man. He was concerned with not only himself and his family but America and our planet as well. He had been credited with several life saving inventions as well as energy conservation plans and inventions of all sorts, as I said he was highly intelligent and not just book smart. The article talked about what a loving person he was to his family and towards all mankind and animals as well. While he could have used his intellect to better himself and probably have been a multimillionaire, he was more concerned with helping our country and the earth. He used the knowledge "God" gave him for the good of all, not just himself.
I love to read about people like this and wish I had the intelligence and money to help people. But am content to do what the Lord gives me to do and what I can.
However, as I was reading this article it went on to say he was a devoted family man and devoted and proud American, somewhat liberal, scholar, intellectual, etc. etc. and an atheist. When I read the last word my heart literally sank. My first thought was, how can a man save the world and yet lose his own soul. Mark 8:36-38, 36 For what shall it profit a man, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul? 37 Or what shall a man give in exchange for his soul? 38 Whosoever therefore shall be ashamed of me and of my words in this adulterous and sinful generation; of him also shall the Son of man be ashamed, when he cometh in the glory of his Father with the holy angels.
The Bible tells us we cannot be saved by works alone. Titus 3:5-9, 5 Not by works of righteousness which we have done, but according to his mercy he saved us, by the washing of regeneration, and renewing of the Holy Ghost; 6 Which he shed on us abundantly through Jesus Christ our Saviour; 7 That being justified by his grace, we should be made heirs according to the hope of eternal life. 8 This is a faithful saying, and these things I will that thou affirm constantly, that they which have believed in God might be careful to maintain good works. These things are good and profitable unto men. 9 But avoid foolish questions, and genealogies, and contentions, and strivings about the law; for they are unprofitable and vain.
My second thought was dear Lord, please let him have had a believing praying wife so that he at least had a chance at coming to know the Lord before he left this world. 1 Corinthians 7:13-14, 13 And the woman which hath an husband that believeth not, and if he be pleased to dwell with her, let her not leave him. 14 For the unbelieving husband is sanctified by the wife, and the unbelieving wife is sanctified by the husband: else were your children unclean; but now are they holy.
How sad if this man did so much good and yet missed Heaven because he not accept Jesus Christ. There may be a lot of things published and we might be famous for a time but once we are gone and the people that knew us well are gone there is not much recognition and then what have we gained if we spend eternity in hell. So what if he gained the world for a short time, he lost his soul for eternity. It didn't mention much about his wife but I pray she was a christian and beseeched the Lord on his behalf. If not, the sorrow of losing her life's partner would also be compounded by the knowledge that he was lost, what an awful pain to feel. My heart breaks for this man and his wife if he left this world lost.
I pray that this was the case, that his wife sought the Lord daily on his behalf and that when he stepped out of this life he stepped into the arms of our loving, forgiving, merciful Lord, who can call us out in the twinkling of an eye but who also can and will forgive us even in our ignorance and unbelief when we come to that instant in our lives that we confess Him as our Lord and Savior and ask Him into our lives. Even on our death bed.
I pray no one reading this has to worry where they or their loved ones will spend eternity but if you are, I lift up my prayers in agreement with you for your loved ones. I hope you will do the same for me. I pray for all the lost and lost loved ones and pray that God richly blesses those and gives those contentment who stand strong in their faith and their belief that through their prayers God will save their loved ones.
What does a man gain?
God bless
tawanab

4 comments:

  1. Only if more people would live by that scripture, would it not be a better world.
    Thanks for reminding me.
    Kim

    ReplyDelete
  2. So true, if we all lived by the basic Bible principles what a wonderful world we would live in. Take care and God bless.
    tawanab

    ReplyDelete
  3. How sad. Do you think God allowed him to live until he was 90 to give him chance upon chance to find Him? I pray that in those last moments he cried out to Jesus.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I do believe that Beth, because I know that our Lord does not anyone to be lost. I pray also that he called out to God and accepted Him in those last moments. God bless you and thanks for reading.

    ReplyDelete